Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Today I found 10 cents . . . 1 nickel & 5 pennies.

Walking to work this morning I found a penny on the sidewalk in the South End. At lunch I hit my local credit union and after making a transaction I found a nickel in the reject slot of a change counting machine. On the way home I found three pennies; one on the sidewalk, one by a parking meter, and one as I crossed the street. In what was my last find of the day I picked up a penny on the floor at Harry O's, a local sub shop.

Several weeks ago NPR interviewed Bailey and me for a change race/finance story. Alas, I must have been fairly dull as I was cut from the story. Not making the cut I could live with, but adding insult to injury was this e-mail that I received from the producer, Sally Herships:

I wanted to thank you again for taking the time to speak with me recently. Sadly you got cut out of the piece, although your friend Bailey, is included. You won the change race though so of course you're still the champion.

Of course I’m still the champion!? Are you kidding me? Cut me if you must, but is it necessary to kick me when I'm down? However, life goes on . . . 1,242 straight days of finding change is at least something that I can hang my hat on.

Totals for the day: 10 cents
Race Totals: $666.69

2 Comments:

At 1:04 AM, Blogger Brooke said...

OH MAN!! I can't BELIEVE you got cut!! I'm sorry to hear that.

Quick question: do you catch a lot of strange glances from people who watch you check coin return slots and crouch down to pick up a (probably rather dirty) penny?? I mean, it's nothing out of the ordinary for me when I see you do it, but I would imagine it would be interesting to a casual observer :).

And yes.....you ARE the champion!!

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Brooke:

Sometimes I get the funny look, but more often than not people don't even notice. It's one of the great things about America . . anyone can do almost anything and not even get the attention of those around them.

Yes, I am The Champion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home