Thursday, December 22, 2005

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Today I found $1.81. . . 4 dimes, 1 quarter, 16 pennies, and $1 bill. I also found a shard of a $5 bill, a restroom token, and a small star. Sadly, the last three do not count toward the daily total. I also found change in three states (Maryland, New Jersey, and New York)

This morning I got in my car and drove from Maryland to New Jersey. In Maryland I had to stop for gas and while the car was filling up I went over to the car wash area of the gas station and found 27 cents (two dimes & seven pennies). Almost all the change was covered in road salt and dirt.

Once in New Jersey I went over to The College of New Jersey to meet up with Brian for a Change Walk. Brian was quite kind to walk me around his territory, teach me a few tricks, and share his wisdom. Despite his kind words he trounced me in the change finding department. I kind of felt like Bailey when he goes on a change walk with me. Anyhow, I did manage to find 31 cents (one quarter & seven pennies) in various parking garages on campus. Off campus I found 10 cents (one dime) and by virtue of my quick call I claimed it. Back on campus at the gym I found a single penny in the soda return slot of a soda machine (an odd place to find a penny).

Brian was kind enough to send me off with a change holder and some excellent directions to the New Jersey Turnpike. Once on the road I went up north to meet up with my friend Becca. In the evening we decided to drive to NY City to check out the Christmas Tree (editor's note: The transit strike was officially over, but nothing was running yet. We ended up walking 35 city blocks from our car to the tree). While wandering NY I found two pennies on the sidewalk, 10 cents (one dime) in the coin return slot of a newspaper box, and $1 bill on the ground at the Rockefeller Center where the large Christmas tree was.

As for the not change finds I found the small star in New Jersey outside a Rita's Ice store, the shard of a $5 bill in parking lot 17 at The College of New Jersey, and the restroom token (made in Indiana) on the sidewalk in NY. All non-change finds will be deposited into my "Not Change Cup" upon my return to Texas.

Totals for the day: $1.81
Race Totals: $221.97

2 Comments:

At 8:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow... even subtracting our excursion and you had an awesome day! Seriously, though, I think we were pretty even. You are hard core; I glance under coin-sorting machines, but you really scrutinize them. I think I'm going to have to add that to my repetoire.

I'm glad you were able to get to the T'pike. I was a bit worried about my vague directions (go this way and look for signs).

Merry Christmas and hopefully we can meet up again in fairer weather...

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Brian:

Hey, we each learned a lot. Just the day after meeting you I found 50 cents in a machine that I would not have found if I hadn't checked the lip.

Directions were excellent, but it was a bit further than you had said. However, you gave pleanty of landmarks so I knew I was going in the right directions.

Hope to see you next year, and have a great Christmas!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home