Thursday, June 28, 2007

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Today I found 9 cents. . . all pennies.

It came down to the 11th hour, but on the way home from the Astros game I was able to swing into the Kwick Kar Wash and find two pennies. At the Sonic next door I found an additional seven cents.

It was a big day in the baseball world as Frank Thomas hit career homerun 500 and Craig Biggio recorded his 3,000th career hit. Living in Houston and attending lots of Astros games I was fortunate enough to see the second event in person.

The Biggio hit was great, a clean single to center that scored the tying run. Biggio, who is having far from a stellar season, went five for six at the plate (his third single of the night was career hit 3,000). To top it off Carlos Lee ended the game with a walk-off Grand Slam homerun.

Taking nothing away from Craig the evening was memorable, but it doesn’t crack my Top Five baseball memories. Of course to qualify I had to be there in person. In specific order I would say my greatest baseball memories are as follows:

1. The evening Cal Ripken tied Lou Gehrig for consecutive games played (2,131 games in a row).
2. The evening Cal Ripken passes Lou Gehrig for consecutive games played.
3. Astros clench the NL Pennant at the final game at Bush Stadium in 2005.
4. Astros win 18 inning post season game against Atlanta, sending them to the 2005 NLCS.
5. Astros sent MLB Record for six pitcher no-hitter against the NY Yankees at Yankee Stadium
6. First World Series home game for the Houston Astros.
7. Biggio 3,000th career hit.

Nevertheless, a memorable evening.

Totals for the day: 9 cents
Race Totals: $573.42

2 Comments:

At 11:19 PM, Blogger Bailey said...

I only saw replays, but it looked like on the 3,000th hit, Biggio got thrown out, going for a double. If so, that is SO perfect. After all the double crap we had to deal with him. That makes him the first player to be thrown out going for the double, while getting his 3,000th hit, since Snuffy McGee in 1804.

I have to object to your top baseball memories. I remember talking to you on the phone during that 18 inning game, and you were NOT happy, and NOT enjoying it!

Some games that should be on the list;

* Game 5 of the 2004 NLCS, where Jeff Kent won it with a walk-off homerun and Backe pitched a 2 hitter. We both agreeded that this might have been the best game we ever went to.

* First time in the Diamond Club

* Julio Lugo and his donut

* Ammel as the wicked witch

* You/Me as the Best Dressed Fan

* The Greg Zaunn FREAK OUT Grand Slam

* Clemens "Turn the Lights Out" KO night

I don't think that any of these can get past the top two, but I think the Jeff Kent game needs to be #3. Serioulsy, right now your #3 moment was shared with Grace. Is that really the message you want to send to me? Or did she really help make that moment more special?

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Biggio was indeed out trying to make a single into a double. I smiled and thought of you.

I'm with you that all of the moments that you listed were magical. However, I stand by my list.

You are correct that I was NOT enjoying the 18 inning game, but from a historic standpoint it was amazing.

I said it at the time, and stand by it today, that Game 5 of the 2004 NLCS was the single best game that I have ever seen. . . . however, my standards for "memorable games" is that it had to be somewhat historic . . .

While the Kent/Backe game was fantastic, it is only a footnote in history. Ripken passing Lou, first World Series in Texas, Astros advancing in the playoffs, etc. are all things that had never been done before.

From a historic standpoint they are all more significant.

That said, you are correct about the Kent/Backe game being the best.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home