Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Wednesday, August 2, 2006

Today I found 18 cents . . . all pennies.

Heading home from a long day of work I decided to stop by Sonic and pick up a cold drink. As I exited my car I spotted a penny, then another, then a bunch more. When all was said and done I had 17 pennies. The change was scattered all over the place, from the parking lot to the patio.

In the evening I dined with my friend Tara and on the way home we stopped at the post office so I could mail a package. I found a penny in the coin return slot of a stamp machine.

So, several months ago I planted a garden and attempted to grow a few things. The mint and basil did well, the lavender died, and my peppers met with mixed success. I also attempted to grow cucumbers. The vines got big but no cucumbers actually appeared . . . . or so I thought. Today I found this on the vine:



Granted, it is not a good looking cucumber, but a cucumber it is nonetheless.

_____________

I also found out today that there is a Tropical Storm that is now named after me. Hopefully it doesn't do a lot of damage, but I'm hoping to get a few headlines out of it. I can see it now, "People Run Scared of Chris," or "Chris Gains Strength." I'm excited.

_____________

Why is it that every player who ever leaves the Phillies comes out and says that they are not committed to winning? The first time it happens you figure it is hard feelings. The second time I wonder if there is something to it.

Totals for the day: 18 cents
Race Totals: $338.84

6 Comments:

At 9:04 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You're killing me...

Take the source: Lidle is a scab who obviously has little regard for team. He's a middling journeyman who backed off his comments and said they were taken out of context after he was called to the mat by Arthur Rhodes. He spoke out of turn about Bonds earlier this year. And now he's doing so again. Maybe he should turn the mirror on himself, rather than looking to scapegoat his former teammates.

That aside, yes, I do think there are times when the Phillies don't give 100%, or haven't given 100%. But there are changes afoot. Utley is a gamer--total hustle on everything. Rowand will run through walls for the team. Howard is a beast. These are guys who want to play. They'll form the new core.

It was time for change. The lackadaisical players, the fatcats who are happy taking their checks are on the way out. Abreu. Bell. Lidle. Wagner.

---

Ok, rant over. Good work on the garden. I hope to get one up running next season.

 
At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you eat that cuke?

It's slightly scary.

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Brian:

Seriously, two players saying the same thing makes me wonder. The players who you mentioned all have a good reputation. Still, it's odd that two players blasted the team in two years.

Liza:

Hell no. I wasn't going to mess with it. I did, however, give it to my neighbor and HE ate it. Said it tasted fine. More power to him, I supose.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Again, I think you have to consider the sources--Wagner and Lidle. They're like the Seinfeld character who was bad at breaking up.

I think the Phillies are moving to get rid of the element that didn't give it their all.

Why say anything at all? If it's so bad, why not just be grateful to be gone. In the end, is there something to their comments? Perhaps. But be a man, be gone and be done.

password: mashfnh

p.s., sorry I forgot one earlier.

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Brian:

I see your point and I'm not trying to dig at you. However, Wagner is a lot of things but he has a reputation for saying the truth. It's what cost him his job in Houston and probably in Phili. Wagner railed on the Astros about not spending money when he left. It was a fair criticism (of course we went out and signed Pettitte and Clemens and that was the end of the arguement but it was true at the time). Granted, Lidle was a scab, but that doesn't mean that he is lying. Perhaps he is bitter, perhaps not.

Either way, I agree that the Phillies are moving in the right direction. With Howard, Utley, Rowand and others they look good. However, can you seriously tell me that guys like Burrell are totally committed to winning? I doubt it. They are moving in the right direction, but there is probably more work to be done.

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

No, I can't say that Burrell is a gamer. I think he was spoiled by the players who were. I think the Phillies showed loyalty to guys like Burrell and Abreu and they returned the favor by showing up and that's it. But, now that some of the lackadaisical players are gone, it's going to be a lot harder for Burrell's negativity to sink the team. Maybe Wagner and Lidle should have pointed a more specific finger; heck, I think one of Lidle's top complaints joined him in NY.

password:
dgmeqm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home