Saturday, February 24, 2007

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Today I found 43 cents . . . 1 nickel, 1 dime, and 28 pennies. The 14th penny of the day, a shiny 2004D, vaulted me to the $500 mark in found change!

After my trip to the post office last night I stopped at the car wash next door and found five cents (all pennies). It was past midnight so the change counted towards today’s totals. This morning I went to get a haircut and stopped at JR’s Car Wash, the car wash next to my apartment complex, on the way back. There I found six cents (all pennies).

This evening I had to go to the post office again. I decided do a rare second trip to JR’s and it paid off. There I found 17 cents (one nickel & 12 pennies). The majority of the pennies, including the one that put me over the $500 mark, were lying in a pile surrounded by discarded Cheetos.

After a quick stop at the local convenience store, where I found 14 cents (one dime & four pennies). I made it to the post office. On the way home I stopped at Walgreens for a pack of envelopes and found one penny by the front door on the way in.

For those that might be wondering, this is what over $500 in change (which weighs 76 pounds) looks like:


________________________________

Congratulations to Race of the Century reader Brian for winning the “Guess When I Hit $500 In Found Change Contest” contest. Brian correctly predicted the exact date that this would happen. For his efforts Brian will be awarded some various trinkets selected from the “Not Change Cup,” keeper of various assorted non-US change finds that I have made during this change journey.

Totals for the day: 43 cents
Race Totals: $500.29

5 Comments:

At 10:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Let me be the first to offer congrats. You did it in far less than half the time it took me. Race you to $1000!

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger Bailey said...

Congrats on the $500 mark. Although you really should have held out to March 6th.

One of those coin jars looks familiar! :-)

 
At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on hitting $500. That is definitely an impressive feat. I personally think you should have waited one more day... I mean really - did you have to go to JR's twice? But that is awesome indeed!

 
At 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Chris!

Best luck on your continuing change journey....

LP

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Brian:

Thanks a lot. Different styles of change searching would make for a fun race. You're on!

Bailey:

Thanks. The second coin jar should look familiar. Now, if you can only find the top for me that would be great.

Becca:

Did I really have to hit JR's twice? Of course I did! Thanks.

LP:

Many thanks. A few items from the "Not Change Cup" are heading your way as payment for all the accounting work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home