Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Today I found 11 cents. . . . 1 nickel & 6 pennies. Change finds were recorded in two states, Maryland and Texas.

I arrived at BWI airport early today, which is always a good thing since security there is very disorganized. Today was no exception. After I passed through the metal detector I spotted a nickel under the ramp where items exit the x-ray machine. It was a bit far back, but I was able to retrieve it by using one of my shoes, which I had already removed, to pull it close to my hand. It was a good find.

The plane that I was taking was over booked, and Continental Airlines asked for volunteers to take the next flight. They offered $150 in travel vouchers. I volunteered, but told them that they would have to give me more if I actually gave up my seat. The lady told me that the amount would not be raised, so I boarded the plane and pulled out my book. About 10 minutes later she came onto the plane and told me that they really needed the seat, so if I would take the next flight she could give me $250. I told her it would have to be $300, which she was not authorized to give me. Thus, I sat back down. A few minutes later she came back and told me that $300 was fine. I got my $300 and an $8 meal voucher (the next flight was in three hours). I took a walk around the airport to kill some time and at Roy Rogers restaurant I found a penny as I used my meal voucher to pay for a hamburger and a drink.

Back in Texas I found two more pennies at one of the airport food stands and three pennies at a plant store that I stopped at on the way home. It’s nice to be back. Current temperature: 80 degrees.

Totals for the day: 11 cents
Race Totals: $225.13

2 Comments:

At 9:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You are the master negotiator...

... I once read an article in BusinessWeek, and reposted on my blog, about how much change is left behind at airport security. I don't recall the precise figure, but suffice it to say that it was in the six digits.

password: sdjwjlve

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger Chris said...

I remember that post, although I can't remember the exact figure either.

I told you, I love the art of negotiation. It's really easy when you have all the cards, which I clearly did with Continental. I would have asked for more, but I happened to know from a friend that works for the airline that $300 is the most they can pay out on a domestic flight. Thus, I figured $300 was a good number!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home