Saturday, February 19, 2005

Saturday, February 19, 2005

Today I found 76 cents. . . 16 pennies, 2 quarters, and 1 dime.

This morning I woke up and it looked like it was going to be a very wet day. I decided that I would try to get in a bike ride before the skies opened. While riding I went to Tumbleweed, a country western bar that is one of the largest in Houston. I concluded that numerous drunkards would drop coinage while they stumbled to their trucks after a solid night of Friday drinking. I was correct.

All finds were made in the parking lot. At first I found nothing but pennies, but then a dime, and the two quarters (only about 5 parking spaces apart). The skies grew darker and the winds began to blow. As I was leaving I spied one final penny. I welcomed this final prize, but the upbringal of coin to hand was somewhat hasty as I had to peddle quite fast to avoid the oncoming deluge.

Despite the overall success of the day I am consumed by one failure. After leaving lunch with Tara at the Rib Tickler I stopped by Kroger for some eggs to make a meatloaf. Wedged between a coin machine and a lottery machine (two machines that steal your hard earned money) I spied a penny. However, the penny was so far back that there was no way to retrieve it. I looked around for something to sweep it forward with. All I saw was a loaf of french bread, and I could only picture the store manager getting somewhat perturbed with me should I attempt to commandeer his french bread.

I am confident that I will return to the Kroger with some type of stick or something similar to retrieve the penny. Nevertheless, I cannot help but feel a sense of failure.

Totals for the day: 76 cents
Race Totals: $2.70

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home