Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Wednesday, October 5, 2005

Today I found 59 cents. . . 1 dime & 49 pennies.

Driving home from work today I was listening to the Astros game on the radio. As one inning had just ended and a commercial had come on I swung into a Sonic to do some quick change searching. At Sonic I found eight cents (all pennies) but the big find of the day came at the Kwick Kar Wash, located in the adjacent parking lot. At the Kwick Kar Wash I found an amazing 32 cents (all pennies). Twenty of these pennies were laying in a pile on top of a trash can. During another commercial break, closer to home, I checked the car wash next to my apartment complex and found eight cents (all pennies).

After the game I headed to the Randalls, a local grocery store. There is a branch of my bank at Randalls and I had to deposit some checks. As I walked into the store I spotted and retrieved a dime from the floor by a group of shopping carts. My final find of the day was a penny, which was on the floor of the post office by a trash can.

Just as I predicted the Astros won game 1 of the NLDS with their unstoppable offense. As loyal readers know I have supported the Astros offense 100 percent of the time for the entire year.

In a recent post Brian had mentioned some words spoken by a co-worker: “Of all things unimportant, baseball is the most important.” This struck me as very true. Baseball helped heal a nation after 9/11, it captivated the nation as we watched Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa hit home run after home run, and we were moved as a nation as Cal Ripken, Jr. passed Lou Gehrig in consecutive games played. Today in Houston there was a special feeling around, and it was baseball. Every place that I went there was a conversation about the Astros and the ongoing game. Baseball may be unimportant, but it certainly did feel like it mattered today.

Totals for the day: 59 cents
Race Totals: $175.26

3 Comments:

At 1:20 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Leanne:

Glad to see that others are getting into the change searching spirit. I love those machine that give you change back for returning carts (there are tons of them at the airports). I personally wouldn't count it as "found" change, but I sure would pocket it!
Chris

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I've addressed this subject before. If you're interested in my interpretation, I wrote about it in my March 9, 2004, post: http://changequest.blogspot.com/2004/03/i-found-one-cent-today-on-ground-at.html

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Brian:

Nice to see we came out on the same side of the Quarter/Cart question. Great minds think alike, I supose.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home