Sunday, March 26, 2006

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Today I found $1.29 . . . 1 quarter, 4 pennies, and a 1901 Silver Morgan Dollar. I also found a quarter from the Cayman Islands, which sadly will not count toward the daily totals.

This afternoon my friend Robert and I went off to the grocery store to pick up a few items for a brisket that he had on the grill. On the way back I stopped at JR’s Car Wash, the car wash next to my apartment complex, and found two cents. At the grocery store I found the Cayman Island quarter in the coin return slot of a coin counting machine. It has since been deposited into my “Not Change Cup,” keeper of such things.

Returning home I found a quarter on the sidewalk in my apartment complex. While taking some trash to the dumpster I spotted another penny on the ground. Once at the dumpster I made my big find of the day. As I threw in my trash I spotted a small wooden box at the base of the dumpster. I opened it and found several broken watches, a few belt buckles, a penny, and a 1901 Morgan Silver Dollar:


The Morgan Silver Dollar is by far the oldest coin I have found during the change race. They sell between $15 – 20 on eBay, but alas someone drilled a hole in the top (perhaps so it could be used as a necklace) and that negates the value. However, after a quick check on the Internet I found that the Morgan Silver Dollar is still legal tender, and will indeed count toward the daily totals.

Editor's Note: Special thanks to Bailey for the technical assistance in talking me through PhotoShop and helping me to create the above picture.

Totals for the day: $1.29
Race Totals: $286.31

2 Comments:

At 7:17 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Awesome find! I'm jealous

password: geqirdnh

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Yeah, I was happy with it. The 1901 Silver Dollar tops my second oldest coin (1918 penny) by 17 years and 99 cents!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home