Friday, May 06, 2005

Friday, May 6, 2005

Today I found $2.02 . . .3 nickels, 7 dimes, 2 quarters, and 67 pennies (the change cycle). I also found a 10 cent piece from Hong Kong. Sadly, Hong Kong coin does not count towards the daily total’s.

Two fast food establishments contributed to the daily finds thanks to the drive-thru lane of each. Taco Bell and KFC contributed one penny and five cents (one nickel), respectively. I had to drive to El Campo, TX this morning, approximately 100 miles from my residence. I stopped for gas at a Shell in Sugar Land, TX (home to current embattled Republican leader Tom DeLay) and I saw a vacuum cleaner.

The vacuum cleaner was partially open, so I decided to open it the rest of the way and I hit the jackpot. Inside were more coins than I had ever seen at one single location. As my car filled with overpriced gas I pulled the precious coinage from the insides of the vacuum. When the dust had settled I had $1.65 (two nickels, five dimes, two quarters, and 55 pennies). This marks my largest single location find and the first time I have ever found the change cycle (penny, nickel, dime, quarter) in a single location.

On the way home I stopped at two car washes, both in El Campo, and found 17 cents (one dime & seven pennies). My favorite Sonic, where briefly chatted with the manager, rewarded me with 14 cents (one dime & four pennies).

The Hong Kong 10 cent piece was found at the Shell station inside the vacuum cleaner. It is a very small coin and has a picture of Queen Elizabeth the Second on the front and the words “Hong Kong,” “Ten Cents,” and some various foreign words on the back. The coin was minted in 1988 and has a translated value of approximately 1.28 cents. Obviously, however, this will not count towards my Race of the Century total’s. The Hong Kong coin will be deposited into my Not Change Cup, holding various treasures that are not coins in nature, or more specifically, are not US minted coins.

Totals for the day: $2.02
Race Totals: $52.71

8 Comments:

At 5:27 PM, Blogger Chris said...

big d:

I knew about the cash registers, but the bleachers isn't something I had ever though of. Thanks for the tip.

Chris

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger Bailey said...

I have actually thought that the bleacher idea. I just haven't found the place yet.

As for the big find for the day. How is this different from an open cash register?

In my bank story for April fool's, the owner of the coins were unknown, and you said that I should have notifed the bank.
Here the owner is known (The Gas Station). I dunno.

It doesn't really matter toward the outcome of the race, but I'm not sure how pure this find is and if it should be counted.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

you guys need a ref

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Bailey said...

ETW (Mr. Fry)

Normally Brian has been our ref, but you are welcome to make your call also.

Put on the stripped shirt and blow the whistle. What do you think?

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

i like it, I just wish I had those stylish pants.

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Bailey said...

Well slap on the pants ETW. Make a call in this situation. Do the coins count?

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

*puts pant on one leg at a time just like the rest of you*


Ok well I do not know the rules.

But here is my view, the change was inside the vac, meaning it was sucked up by careless people.

So the "suckers" have in a sense "dropped" their change abeit in a irreversible hole of suction.

Of course I do not know the offical rules but, I rule in the favor of Chris keeping the change.

Again this is without any knowlage of the rules.

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Chris said...

ETW/Bailey:

Interesting exchange. The only rules are that the change must be lost and there must be no clear owner. I do not even think there is a question of if it sould count, I think it should. ETW has solid logic. Pending comments from other intrested parties the totals will stand.

Chris

 

Post a Comment

<< Home