Monday, May 16, 2005

Monday, May 16, 2005

Today I found 29 cents . . .2 dimes and 9 pennies.

Much excitement was had today, but first I shall discuss the daily finds. On my way home I stopped at a Taco-Ball drive-thru and found 11 cents (one dime & one penny). The Kwick Kar Wash provided me with two cents and another car wash provided me with 11 cents (one dime & one penny). I found four cents at Sonic where I stopped for dinner and one penny by a check out line at Wal-Mart.

Today I went to the Craig Biggio Sunshine Kids Celebrity Golf Tournament. I have never played golf so I was just there for autographs. This is a tricky place to get autographs as it is a private golf course, a private event, and lots of security. Dressed in my best I proudly walked passed security with a baseball in my pocket and the team picture hidden in my shirt. Right off the bat I got Roy Oswalt (on my team picture) and Andy Pettitte (on a t-shirt that I acquired for my co-worker Stefany). Then I saw Roger Clemens and approached him for an autograph. This is when things got dicey.

Mr. Clemens rebuffed my request, per his normal routine, and as I was walking away a security guard told me I had to leave. I explained that I was entered in the Tournament and was a golfer, a little white lie as I was not a golfer and certainly not in the tournament. He did not buy this explanation, but I managed to convince him that it was true. A friend of mine was playing in the tournament so I went over to him and asked if I could ride in his golf cart until we got onto the course, at which point I would position myself by a hole and wait for people to come by. All other autograph seekers had already been run off by security, so I was proud that I managed to stay this long.

Sadly, my friend already had someone in his golf cart, but right next to him was Mr. Calvin “Baton Twirling” Murphy, NBA Hall-of-Famer. Knowing that I needed to be in a golf cart immediately I asked Mr. Murphy if I could ride with him and watch his group play. Mr. Murphy didn’t miss a step and invited me to join his group. I ended up playing 18 holes of golf with Mr. Murphy and had a great time. Halfway through the course Mr. Murphy received a telephone call from his friend, Mr. Bill Cosby. They chatted and then we all had the chance to talk with Mr. Cosby via telephone. Sadly, I never did get Roger Clemens to sign for me, but I did get Mr. Murphy, who ended up giving me his cell phone number and the invitation to play golf with him in the future. Wonderful day.

Totals for the day: 29 cents
Race Totals: $60.69

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home