Monday, May 23, 2005

Monday, May 23, 2005

Today I found $20.33. . .1 quarter, 8 pennies, and a $20 bill. Sadly, as the $20 bill is not change it will not count towards the daily totals. Thus, a more accurate statement would be, today I found 33 cents that will count towards the daily totals.

Two car washes this morning gave me two cents each (for a total of four cents). Driving down State Highway 6 I saw a car wash that I had never stopped at before. I had already driven past it, and as I was running on a tight schedule I considered just letting it go. However, driving by a car wash without stopping is somewhat akin to kicking a person who is choking, so around I turned to pay the newly discovered car wash a visit.

My decision was promptly rewarded as I found 28 cents (one quarter & three pennies). Checking the ground in the front of the carwash I spied the $20 bill in a pile of trash and junk that had blown into the corner. This was an unattended car wash, and there was not a sole in site. I thus decided that the $20 was fair game and added it to my empty wallet. This marks the first time during the change race that I have actually found paper money, but the rules of the contest are clear: only change counts towards the daily totals. It is disappointing, but we live in a society of rules so I must accept that.

At the post office this evening I found one penny in the change return slot of a stamp machine. It was minted in 1969 and I smiled, remembering Bailey’s fondness for all coins ending in 69. Perhaps I will offer to trade it to him for $20 in pennies that he promises to throw on the ground in my apartment complex.

Totals for the day: 33 cents
Race Totals: $64.26

5 Comments:

At 6:38 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Solid find on the twenty beans. Too bad your rules are so prohibitive. Mine aren't! Ahem...

... I once heard about this fence in the midwest somewhere where all sorts of debris and junk gather from the winds. The article/program where I heard this specifically said that stray paper currency can be found in considerable sum. I just thought this sounded like a situation similar to your $20 find.

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Bailey said...

I want to check out this fence!!

Chris, would you rather I leave $20 in pennies inside a vacuumn cleaner?

Well I still have the upper hand in paper money found, as I have found 2 dollar bills. I don't get the edge in value, but number of paper finds, I can't be beat!

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Brian:

Yeah, we need directions to that fence.

Bailey:

Keep that attitude up and it's going to cost you $30 in pennies.

Chris

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Bailey said...

What attitude?
I'm just pointing out how much better I am at finding paper money than you. No attitude, just facts!

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Bailey:

So if you find nothing but quarters for the rest of the race and I find nothing but pennies I would win because I have more of them, even if they are worth less? I think not.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home