Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Today I found 91 cents . . . 1 nickel, 5 dimes, 1 quarter, and 11 pennies (the extraordinary change cycle). I also found a Canadian penny and dime and a 10 cent Franc. Sadly, the foreign coinage does not count toward the daily totals. Change was found in Washington, DC and Maryland.

I was in DC this afternoon for business and while walking I spotted and retrieved a nickel from the base of a parking meter. It was a blustery day, so I tried to spend as much time as possible indoors.

Leaving DC I stopped at Safeway, a local grocery store, to pick up a drink. On the way out I found a dime by the front exit door. Further down the road I saw Giant, another local grocery store, and decided to check it out. I'm glad I did. At Giant I found 75 cents (four dimes, one quarter, and 10 pennies) in the coin return slot of a change counting machine. Three of the pennies were Wheat Back in variety, including TWO 1943 Steel Pennies.

Giant is also where I found all the foreign coinage, which will be deposited into my "Not Change Cup," keeper of things of the non-US change variety. The 10 cent Franc was minted in 1941 and appears to be silver. I'll research and report back.

Leaving Giant I saw a penny in the road. As I was not going to be able to turn for quite some time (it was rush hour in a major city) I took the time to open the door and retrieve the lone penny.

Daily Totals: 91 cents
Race Totals: $247.65

2 Comments:

At 11:05 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Excellent day of finds ... I'm envious. I especially like the steel.

Anyway, the nickel find by the base of a parking meter reminds me of one of my earliest finds as a youth, well before I started keeping track. I think I might have told you this story, but I found a nickel in the street in D.C. when I was younger and was extremely stoked. I still have a fairly vivid recollection of it.

Password: kcpyozt

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Brian:

I too have a fondness for steel, although these are the first two that I have found. For some reason I always like parking meter finds. Can't explain it, but they are nice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home