Friday, April 15, 2005

Friday, April 15, 2005

Today I found 20 cents . . . 1 dime, and 10 pennies.

Sadly, for complex reasons I did not make it to New Jersey this evening. I had hoped to give Brian a run on his own turf, but it was not to be. However, finds were made and are presented. This morning I found 2 cents at a Crown gas station by the vacuum cleaners, four cents at a British Petroleum gas station by vacuum cleaners, and two cents at another Crown gas station by (you guessed it) the vacuum cleaner. My big find of the day was at an Exxon gas station where I found 11 cents (one dime & one penny) on the ground. The dime was hidden quite well on a white parking space line and it took a good eye to find it.

In the afternoon I met my former track coach at Towson University (formerly Towson State University) for lunch. While waiting I found one penny by the Towson Center, the university athletic facility. I also found out that I am, to this day, on the top ten list for the field event that I competed in. Since I never realized I was that good this was quite the pleasant surprise.

In the evening I attended an Orioles vs. Yankees game at Oriole Park at Camden Yards. The Orioles won 8-1. I got there too late for autographs, but it was still a fantastic game. Little things like this game remind me how lucky I was to grow up in Baltimore. Last year I didn’t miss a single Houston Astros game and I can say without reservation that there was not a single regular season Astros game that matched the intensity of tonight’s game. The reasons are vast, but not once did the fans of Baltimore try to start the wave, everyone was standing and cheering with genuine passion, fans knew what they were talking about, and there was an electricity in the stadium that has never been in Houston. It was good to come home.

Totals for the day: 20 cents
Race Totals: $39.07

2 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The south tends to be more laid back about a varity of issues, does not mean the passion is not there. I know you are a transplant and nothing will ever compare to home. There is more to the Houston spirit than the Astros. Where you here when the Rockets were at the top of the game? Did ya go to the Rodeo? As someone who grew up here, I can always talk to a Texan, it's like finding family all over the globe. Plus it is not really cold and on a hot Texas day a cold beer is truly heavenly : - )

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Mr/Mrs. Anonymous:
When I first moved to Texas I figured I would leave in a year. That was six years ago. It is a great state with great people. Obviously, there is a little bias in what I say, but in terms of baseball Houston does not compare with Baltimore. Now, if you want to talk cold beer, BBQ, or Rodeo that is a different story.

Chris

 

Post a Comment

<< Home