Saturday, October 22, 2005

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Today I found 96 cents. . . 1 nickel, 5 dimes, and 41 pennies. I also found a token to Six Flags Amusement Park, which sadly does not count toward the daily total’s.

This morning I took a walk around the neighborhood and did some change searching. At a Starbucks drive-thru I set myself up nicely for a possible cycle by finding 22 cents (one nickel, one dime, and seven pennies). Sadly, the cycle was not to be.

I later found 12 cents (one dime & two pennies) at a KFC drive-thru, two cents at a Burger King drive-thru, four cents at a Boston Market drive-thru, and 22 cents (two dimes & two pennies) at Ale Gator’s Car Wash.

Later in the day I went to Randalls, a local grocery store, to deposit some checks into my bank account. I was saddened to learn that the store will be closing, thus reducing my access to good banking hours and a coin counting machine. Still, Randalls came thru for me like a champ by delivering two pennies in the parking lot.

At a Shell gas station where I stopped for a drink I found an amazing twenty cents (all pennies) on the ground by the front door. Obviously, someone that had entered or exited before me chose to throw away all their pennies. I was happy to be the one to retrieve the pennies.

On my way home from watching Game 1 of the World Series at a local bar I stopped at Kroger, another local grocery store, and found 12 cents (one dime & two pennies) atop a coin counting machine. The two pennies were quite sticky and the dime was under a piece of trash. This is where I also found the Six Flags token, which has already been deposited into the “Not Change Cup.”

Thru the wonderful world of the Internet I have secured tickets for Games 3 & 4 of the World Series. I paid way too much, and I’m not happy about it. Still, not going would make me even more not happy, so there was obviously no good solution.

Question of the day: As the baseball game was getting ready to start today I was seated on the patio of a bar. The National Anthem came on and everyone stood up and removed their hats. After the anthem was over I commented to no one in particular at my table that I wasn’t sure how I felt about standing for the anthem when the game was on TV. Opinions were divided as to what was proper. One point was that it was a matter of respect and you should stand. The counter point was that if you were watching the game alone at home you would probably not stand and the only good reason to stand was that everyone else was doing it. Thoughts?

Totals for the day: 96 cents
Race Totals: $185.44

2 Comments:

At 9:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well, you can look at it this way: your change-race finds may mitigate some small portion of the cost.

As for the question: I wouldn't stand, but I can definitely see how the atmosphere at a bar could lead to it, particularly in the environment of being there specifically to watch a ballgame. It's almost like being at the ballpark by proxy.

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Ballpark proxy is a good answer, but in the end it's really about being a lemming. That said, I'm not going to be the one person not standing in a bar in Texas.

I'm not sure if the change finds will mitigate the tickets, but sales on e-bay of Astros give aways certainly will. Even with the World Series ticket costs I think I'll more than break even on my baseball season.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home