Monday, July 25, 2005

Monday, July 25, 2005

Today I found 94 cents. . . 2 nickels, 5 dimes, and 34 pennies. I also got 14 Philadelphia Phillies to sign a team ball for me. Adding icing to my cake one of the 34 pennies that I found was dropped by Phillies right handed pitcher Jon Lieber.

Leaving Greenspoint Mall after lunch I spotted and retrieved a penny from the parking lot ground. I had to park my car and get out, much to the suprise of the three co-workers that were in the car with me. Jennifer was there and she handled it well.

Waiting outside the ballpark this evening I saw Jon Lieber, pitcher for the Philadelphia Phillies come out. Jon was with his wife, and son, who's name was also Chris. Jon signed a ball for me and while he waited for a taxi I heard the familiar sound of coin dropping to ground from where he was standing. After he got into his taxi I went over and found a penny, a shiny 2002 D.

Driving home after the game I stopped at the Kwick Kar Wash and found 92 cents (two nickels, five dimes, & 32 pennies). The vast bulk of the change, save nine pennies and one nickel, were in a sticky pile. A quick wash in my sink at home made them as good as new.

On the autograph front I managed to obtain 14 signatures. For our fans in Philadelphia (primarily Brian) I will list them all: Aaron Fultz, Geoff Geary, Cory Lidle, Jon Lieber, Ryan Madson, Billy Wagner, Mike Lieberthal, Ryan Howard, Thomas Perez, Jimmy Rollins, Bobby Abreu, Pat Burrell, Endy Chavez, and Jason Michaels.

I have always had a rule that the only place I will ever ask for an autograph is inside the ballpark, or outside the ballpark before or after the game, or at an autograph event. There is, of course, the Mark McGwire exception, since I have gotten him at a golf tournement before. Today, I broke this rule to get Pat Burrell.

I have had very bad experiences with Pat before, including waiting for him to sign for four hours after a game only to have him blow me off (I had never actually gotten him before tonight). I saw him walk across the street with some other players to go to a bar. I managed to stop Jason Michaels, but Pat got away and went into the bar. Putting aside my reservations I walked in and asked him to sign a ball. With a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other he still managed to shoot me a dirty look, take my ball, and give me a beautiful autograph. I still don't like him, but it was a nice way to end the day. Oh yes, the Astros won this evening 7-1, with Craig Biggio and Lance Berkman hitting back to back homeruns not once but twice in the game.

Totals for the day: 94 cents
Race Totals: $112.10

8 Comments:

At 11:40 PM, Blogger Bailey said...

Congrats on the MLB change.

Although untill you find a quarter on the field (Like I did), I think think that I am still the leader in this catagory!

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Awesome find on the Lieber penny. I think you should try to return it to him. I'd be curious to see how he reacts.

Neat-o story on Pat Burrell, too. I never would have guessed he'd be like that.

Now I just need the Astros to drop the next two games and then all will be well.

 
At 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you forgot to mention that the ONLY reason that you acquired Pat's autograph was because your GREAT friend Greis called you back over when he walked out of the stadium, after you had given up and were leaving!!!!!!!!

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Bailey said...

WHOA, did Grace just make an apperance? Where is the posting on my blog?
This is not good. I might authorize Chris to have open season on "Hip-Hip"

 
At 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bailey,

I did post on you blog, under Day 162.

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Bailey said...

Alright Lance-a-lot, what is your blog name?

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Amazing Greis said...

Bailey,
My blog is http://ilovelancealot.blogspot.com/

I told you I just started it today. So it's pretty bare.

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Bailey:

You found change on the field? When, and under what circumstances?

Brian:

I thought about returning the penny to Lieber, but there is just no good way to do it. I'm going to have to keep it, but I will gladly send it your way if you want it.

Lance a Lot:

Welcome to the blog world. Good to have you on the team.

Chris

 

Post a Comment

<< Home