Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Today I found 17 cents. . . all pennies. In the most important news of the day Race of the Century would like to send out a special thanks to our armed forces overseas, especially Seath in Germany, a loyal reader who can still find time to serve our country and enjoy the blog.

On my way to an appointment this morning I found another penny in the road. I'm just shocked at the number of pennies in the road that I have been finding lately, but I'm shocked at the amount of change, so what's new?

At a carwash later in the afternoon I found nine cents (all pennies) and I gave them a new home. My final find of the day was at a carwash on Interstate 45 as I was driving to the ballpark. It was seven cents (all pennies). Two of them were stuck together with what appeared to be motor oil.

On the autograph front I managed five Philadelphia signatures. They were Robinson Tejada, Todd Pratt, Matt Kata (who remembered me from yesterday and was nice enough to sign), Ramon Martinez, and Kenny Lofton. On the baseball front the Astros beat the Phillies again, this time on a Mike Lamb walk off home run (sending the first pitch offering of Ryan Madson, a very tall pitcher, into the upper deck). Sorry, Brian. Well, not really.

After the game Tara and our friend Claudia had a few beers at some bars across the street. While drining a beer I noticed that Phillies catcher Todd Pratt was in the bar. Tara and Claudia, both feeling quite gutsy, went over and got their picture taken with him. Todd asked if they knew who he was, and without missing a beat Tara responded, "Todd Pratt, I loved you with the Mets." Damn, she is good.

Totals for the day: 17 cents
Race Totals: $112.27

5 Comments:

At 6:08 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, yeah, nice win. We need to get to Clemens tonight to salvage the series.

By the way, when would you say the term "walk-off homer" was coined?

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Amazing Greis said...

Go Tara, way to know your stuff!

 
At 3:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is Seth without the a. And we were drinking, not drining. Chris you need spell check or an editor!

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Brian:

I'll research the "walk off home run." Interesting question. I guess one win out of three could be considered "salvage" but it's a moot point. My question to you is when did the coin the word "sweep."

Lance a Lot:

Tara was good, too bad the picture didn't turn out and she didn't show tonight.

Mr./Mrs. Anonymous:

Seth is noted. Thanks for the spell check advice. I'll work on it.

Chris

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Chris...
Well, I'm looking for an e-mail from the Hall of Fame that told me the origin of walk-off homer, but the reason I asked is because it's relatively new. It wasn't around when I was growing up. My first recollection of hearing it was when Chad Curtis, I think, hit one to win one for the Yankees. I'll fire you the answer if I can dig it up...

... I don't think you ever need to modify Phillies with "slumping." They've been slumping since their formation, having recently exceeded 10,000 losses over the history of the franchise.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home